Results 1 to 10 of 100

Thread: A7 Project

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member Mustang Marvin's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 3rd, 2009
    Location
    Trussville, Alabama
    Posts
    209
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    A7 Project

    I have just acquired a new project. Ever since I first saw them I have wanted a pair of A7's. I now have a pair. The pieces I have are the A7 cabinets of course, a pair of 511b horns, a pair of 902 HF drivers, a pair of 418-B LF drivers, and Eminence 800 HZ Xovers.

    I was hoping for 416 LF drivers but since this was a package deal, I will take what I can get. I understand the 418's are slightly more efficient but don't go quite as low as the 416's. I probably won't be able to hear the difference anyway.

    I am anxious to get started on assembly, but I need to do some cosmetic work on the cabinets first. The horns probably could use a fresh coat of paint as well. I would like to insert a picture, but I am confused as to how to upload one.

    I would like some advice as to the components I have as well as any suggestions from the guys here that have built these units before. I don't want to screw up something I have waited for for so long.
    Thanks,
    MM

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: A7 Project

    Your 418's are musical instrument speakers. In general, MI speakers aren't the best choice in a home-stereo/HiFi setup. I don't know the degree to which the 418's will follow this generalization, Though. Even if they aren't the best for you application, I'm sure they'll get you by until you can find some 416's.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member
    A7 Project


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: A7 Project

    Yup, what ABG said.

    The term "quite" doesn't apply...there simply is no comparison at all. You will lose perhaps two octaves in LF response in a system that isn't strong on LF to begin with.

    The 418 isn't even a bass guitar speaker like the 421. The 418 is frankly closer to a lead guitar speaker...that's how we marketed them in the 70's. Works great with pedal steel BTW...we had many working steel players in the tri state area running them way back when.


    They will work and make sound...but I would recommend eBaying them and going to 416 as soon as finances or other circumstances allow. There is a reason Altec never offered that speaker in an A7, somebody stuck them in there.

    The 418 can be helped a bit in a straight ported box, but the A7 cabs short horn boosts mids in a very heavy mid speaker.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member Mustang Marvin's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 3rd, 2009
    Location
    Trussville, Alabama
    Posts
    209
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: A7 Project

    Thanks guys,
    This is what I was hoping to get. Good information. I know the A7's should have 416's. I believe I will take your advice and try to get some from eBay. I know they ain't cheap, but I hope to offset the cost by selling the 418's back on eBay.

    BTW, what do you think of the cross overs? Can I go with the Eminence 800 HZ, or should I try to obtain some original Altecs?

    Thanks for your responses...

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member Mustang Marvin's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 3rd, 2009
    Location
    Trussville, Alabama
    Posts
    209
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: A7 Project

    a>[/IMG]
    I hope this works. This is the picture of my A7 project. Work first starts on the cabinets. It would appear I need to trade my 418's for 416's.
    Any takers?

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member Mustang Marvin's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 3rd, 2009
    Location
    Trussville, Alabama
    Posts
    209
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: A7 Project

    forums[/IMG]

    I hope this works. This is the picture of my A7 project. Work first starts on the cabinets. It would appear I need to trade my 418's for 416's.
    Any takers?

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member Mustang Marvin's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 3rd, 2009
    Location
    Trussville, Alabama
    Posts
    209
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: A7 Project

    I hope this works. This is the picture of my A7 project. Work first starts on the cabinets. It would appear I need to trade my 418's for 416's.
    Any takers?

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member
    A7 Project


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: A7 Project

    Bowtie had a pair of 515's needing reconed...

    I think he wanted $150...and a GPA recone would result in about what you would pay off FleaBay but you get essentially new speakers...
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.